Who is the qualification for?
This qualification is for individuals who wish to undertake basic training in the service and repair of a variety of electric appliances such as vacuum cleaners, fans, irons, toasters and microwave ovens.
Individuals who would benefit from this qualification include:
- Service/Repair Technicians
- Apprentice Technicians
This list is not exhaustive and only serves to illustrate the breadth of the qualification.
How is it structured?
To achieve this Caribbean Vocational Qualifications (CVQ), candidates must successfully complete all mandatory units plus a minimum of two (2) Level One elective units and one (1) Level Two elective unit.
What does it cover?
The mandatory units include:
- Remove, dismantle, assemble and replace basic engineering components
- Perform basic repair to electrical/electronic apparatus
- Disassemble and reassemble electrical/electronic appliances
- Disconnect and reconnect fixed wired electrical machinery, appliances and fixtures
- Service and repair small appliances
The elective units include:
- Terminate signal and data cables (basic)
- Service and repair washers and dryers
- Cut, bend and install electrical conduit
- Service and repair portable power tools
- Service and repair electric motors and speed controls