Who is the qualification for?
This qualification is for individuals working in the maintenance industry who wish to acquire basic training in the installation and operation of residential refrigeration and air-conditioning systems.
Residential refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment includes:
- Refrigerators (frost and non-frost)
- Deep freezers (frost and non-frost)
- Window units
- Mini-split air-conditioning systems (up to 5 tons)
Individuals who would benefit from this qualification include:
- Apprentice Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Technicians
- Maintenance Staff
This list is not exhaustive and only serves to illustrate the breadth of the qualification.
How is it structured?
To achieve this Caribbean Vocational Qualification (CVQ), candidates must successfully complete all mandatory units and a minimum of any one (1) elective unit.
What does it cover?
The mandatory units include:
- Using graduated measuring devices
- Use electrical/electronic measuring devices
- Perform mechanical procedures (residential)
- Perform control and protection procedures (residential)
- Maintain system components (residential)
- Install air-conditioning, refrigeration and ventilation equipment and components (residential)
The optional units include:
- Craft personal entrepreneurial strategy
- Perform brazing and/or silver soldering
- Attach flexible cables and plugs to electrical machinery appliances and fixtures