Who is the qualification for?
This qualification is for individuals working in the plumbing trade in the building and maintenance industry. Individuals who would benefit from this qualification include:
- Plumber Apprentices
- Labourers/Construction Workers
This list is not exhaustive and only serves to illustrate the breadth of the qualification.
How is it structured?
To achieve Caribbean Vocational Qualification (CVQ), candidates must successfully complete all mandatory units plus a minimum of two (2) Level One elective units and one (1) Level Two elective unit.
What does it cover?
The mandatory units include:
- Draw and interpret sketches and simple drawings
- Use power tools
- Carry out mechanical cutting operations – (basic)
- Prepare for piping and tubing installation
- Assemble pipes and fittings for clients
- Install and maintain piping and tubing
The optional units include:
- Perform brazing and/or silver soldering
- Carry out concreting to simple forms
- Roughing-in customer’s pipework (install pipe work)
- Prepare material and locations for installing drains and waste systems
- Position, join and secure pipes and components to provide drains and waste systems