Who is the qualification for?
This qualification is for individuals who wish to enhance their effectiveness in the metal, engineering and maintenance industry. Individuals who would benefit from this qualification include:
- Maintenance staff
- Machine Operators
- Air-conditioning/Refrigerator Technicians
This list is not exhaustive and only serves to illustrate the breadth of the qualification.
How is it structured?
To be awarded this Caribbean Vocational Qualification (CVQ), candidates must successfully complete all mandatory units. Electives achieved will be awarded unit Statements of Competence.
What does it cover?
The mandatory units include:
- Draw and interpret sketches and simple drawings
- Use power tools
- Carry out mechanical cutting operations – (basic)
- Classify engineering materials – (basic)
The optional units include:
- Undertake fabrication, forming, bending and shaping
- Remove and replace basic pneumatic and hydraulic system components
- Remove, dismantle, assemble and replace basic engineering components
- Perform basic welding using oxyacetylene welding process (OAW) - fuel gas welding
- Perform basic welding using manual metal arc welding process (MMAW)
- Evacuate and dehydrate refrigeration systems
- Carry out routine servicing of coils, filters and room air conditioners