Who is the qualification for?
This qualification is for individuals who wish to enhance their effectiveness in the general construction industry. Individuals who would benefit from this qualification include:
- Construction Workers
This list is not exhaustive and only serves to illustrate the breadth of the qualification.
How is it structured?
To be awarded this Caribbean Vocational Qualification (CVQ), candidates must successfully complete all mandatory units. Elective units achieved will be awarded unit Statements of Competence.
What does it cover?
The mandatory units include:
- Prepare surfaces
- Lay multi-thickness walls and piers
- Apply float and render to straight and curved surfaces
- Restore and renovate solid plasterwork
- Finish concrete
- Cure concrete
- Carry out cavity brick/block construction
- Construct masonry steps and stairs
- Construct masonry arch-semi-circular and segmental
- Construct curved wall
- Construct masonry structural systems (load bearing walls)
The optional units include:
- Undertake rigging
- Apply plaster by projection machine
- Place concrete
- Cut and core concrete
- Lay segmental/unit paving
- Carry out veneer construction
- Install glass block work
- Install pre-cast decorative mouldings
- Install curtain walling
- Carry out decorative finishes to concrete