Who is the qualification for?
This qualification is for individuals working in the furnishing industry who wish to acquire knowledge of basic furniture finishing techniques, including coating surfaces either by hand or by spray painting: for example:
- Woodwork Apprentices
- Cabinet Makers
This list is not exhaustive and only serves to illustrate the breadth of the qualification.
How is it structured?
To be awarded this Caribbean Vocational Qualification (CVQ), candidates must successfully complete all mandatory units plus a minimum of any three (3) Level One units and any two (2) Level Two units.
What does it cover?
The mandatory units include:
- Carry out measurements and calculations
- Move and store materials and products
- Finish a basic furniture finishing product
- Use furniture finishing hand and power tools
- Remove surface coatings
- Prepare surface for finishing
- Maintain spray equipment and booth
- Apply surface coatings by hand and spray gun
- Apply stains, fillers and bleach
The optional units include:
- Operate basic woodworking machines
- Assemble furnishing components
- Dismante/reassemble furniture
- Apply traditional French polishing techniques
- Match and make up colours
- Craft a personal entrepreneurial strategy
- Repair and touch up surfaces