Who is the qualification for?
This qualification is for individuals working in the food and hospitality industry, who are interested in acquiring knowledge of basic cookery methods and developing their food preparation skills: for example:
- Kitchen/Cafeteria staff
- Catering staff
- Cooking assistants/apprentices
This list is not exhaustive and only serves to illustrate the breadth of the qualification.
How is it structured?
To be awarded this Caribbean Vocational Qualification (CVQ), candidates must successfully complete all mandatory units plus a minimum of one (1) Level One elective unit and two (2) Level Two elective units
What does it cover?
The mandatory units include:
- Follow health, safety and security procedures
- Organise and prepare food
- Use basic methods of cookery
- Prepare appetisers and salads
- Prepare sandwiches
- Prepare and cook poultry and gamePrepare breakfast items
- Transfer and store food in a safe and hygienic manner
The optional units include:
- Prepare hot and cold desserts
- Prepare pastry, cakes and yeast goods
- Prepare diet based and preserved foods
- Prepare and produce pastries
- Present desserts
- Prepare and display petit fours
- Craft a personal entrepreneurial strategy