Who is the qualification for?
This qualification is for individuals working in the agricultural sector who wish to expand their knowledge of butchery, for example:
- Meat Processing Plant Workers
- Farm/Livestock Workers
This list is not exhaustive and only serves to illustrate the breadth of the qualification.
How is it structured?
To be awarded this Caribbean Vocational Qualification (CVQ), candidates must successfully complete all mandatory units and a minimum of any one (1) Level Two and any two (2) Level Three elective units.
What does it cover?
The mandatory units include:
- Observe workplace health and safety requirements
- Use hazardous substances safely
- Implement a pest control programme
- Operate farm machinery and equipment
- Carry out measurements and calculations
- Use and maintain agricultural chemicals
- Observe environmental workplace practices
- Carry out livestock purchasing and ante-mortem activities
- Slaughter and dress livestock for consumption
- Carry out procedures for primary cutting and deboning
- Select, use and maintain slaughtering equipment
The optional units cover:
- Carry out data entry and retrieval procedures
- Preparelivestock for competition
- Crafte a personal entrepreneurial strategy
- Operate point of sale systems
- Supervise management of herd health
- Supervise work routines and staff performance
- Establishe pasture and forage crops